Home Safety Tips
Protecting your home with a monitored security system from Preferred Security is just the first of many valuable home security measures.
General Home Safety
- When you leave your home for an extended period, give your home a lived in look. You can put your lights on timers, leave a television on, or have someone stay at your home while you are away.
- Never leave extra keys or garage door openers under doormats, in mailboxes, or on top of the door frame. Instead leave a key with a neighbor, family member or close friend.
- Make sliding glass doors more secure by laying a piece of wood or metal along the bottom track.
- Always keep garage doors closed.
- When you are away ask a neighbor to collect your newspapers & mail, and don't forget to remove any delivered packages from the porch.
- Disable telephone ringers. Just like with lights, unanswered ringers can indicate that your home is vacant, and therefore vulnerable. Shut off the ringer to your phone when you leave for an extended period of time
- Install a peep hole in your front door so you can see who is at the door before opening it.
Home Fire Safety
- Install smoke detectors on each floor of your home and test regularly.
- Never leave candles, or any other open flame unattended in your home.
- Never leave hot irons, curling irons, grills, etc. unattended.
- When cooking, don't leave pots and pans unattended on the stove.
- Make sure you and your family have an escape plan. Practice the plan and make sure everyone in your home knows exactly what to do in case of a fire.
- Ensure that your address is easily visible, allowing emergency personnel to find your home quickly.